Saturday, January 2, 2010

Southern Flying Squirrel, Maybe

This little fella was eating out of the bird feeder when I got home - he has been around before. One night, I thought he must be a bat as he was spread out on one of the big feeders (it was very dark at that feeder). Anyway, tonight I happened to be carrying my equipment into the house and had the camera and tripod in my arms.

This shot is at ISO12800, exposure time 1 second. It was much darker than it looks. I was using f8 to give some depth of field as focusing was tough. I took several shots, but he kept moving during the exposure. He was surprisingly unafraid and hung around until the heat pump kicked on. Apparently he does not mind people or dogs, but does not care for heat pumps.

This shot was processed with the Lightroom 3 beta. Lightroom 3 is doing a much better job of high iso noise reduction than Lightroom 2.

I did some goggling on nocturnal squirrels, and came up with the southern flying squirrel - no guarantees though.

No comments:

Post a Comment