Sunday, January 31, 2010

Snowy Weekend

Well, we finally had a decent snow. Not as wet as I would like, but you take what you can get. I went on a hike Sunday up at Mammoth Cave. The roads in the park were very clear, considering the amount of snow on the ground. I hiked a decent sized loop on the south side of the river - The Green River Bluffs Trail, the Echo River Spring Trail and the Mammoth Dome Sink Trail. I had my gps going but did not zero it at the start, so I am not sure of the distance. I was comfortably dressed for the weather and it was a swell hike.

You can tell I like, or fall back on, leading lines.







I saw quite a few Deer out on the trail. The longest lens I had with me was around 100mm. Fortunately they will let you get quite close before they spook, and I had room to crop.






Trails Illustrated
Mammoth Cave NP Trail Map
(Amazon Link)
Trails Illustrated Mammoth Cave National Park Trail Map
This is a nice plastic map. I have been using versions of this map for years. It survives canoe trips and rain showers. You could come to the conclusion that I have been dunked a time or two when I mention that it survives canoe trips; I have no comment on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment