Monday, October 19, 2009

'I-crop-a-lot' or 'Psuedo-Alone'

Garden of the Gods, Shawnee National Forrest, Southern Ilinois

Met an elementary school classmate and her husband at Garden of the Gods. They live an hour or two north of GOG. Rainy most of the day. The rain did clear out for a few hours around noon, fortunately that was when we were to meet. We stayed there on the Observation Trail for a few hours, then went to find something to eat. The sky was clearing out again as it was starting to get dark. I was still in the area, so I went back for some night shots. Nothing too daring, as it was getting pretty dark.
It was actually a little spooky out there in the dark. As the 15 minute exposure was happening, I made the trip back to the trail several times. Then, on the way back to the camera, I had to re-find it, while trying not to shine a light at the camera. I think it was maybe four crack jumps to get out there. The camera actually takes a second shot of the same duration with the shutter closed to subtract out some of the noise. I decided to let that happen on the way home in the truck. I hadn't planned on staying that late, so with a 3.5 hour drive home time, it was getting late for an old fella who likes to get up early.

I wasn't stupid enough to follow it into a pond or anything but on the way there, my gps took me through 4 or 5 miles of gravel roads! Nice scenery though. On the way home I refused to turn onto the gravel road, so it re-calculated a friendlier route.


Polarizer filter on all but the night shots.


'Pseudo-Alone': I cropped a few people out on the very left edge. I-crop-a-lot. No, that was not a typo.
















5 Minute Exposure


15 Minute Exposure

1 comment:

  1. Your photos turned out so much nicer than mine did.... and I so enjoyed this day with you.. We would have went back with you for the night exposures had we known you were going! After all we didn't have near the drive that day that you had! Doris

    ReplyDelete